In this age of Millennials, Tattoos have become the mortal strength to express inner self. For the most part, tattoos of a hand or on a hand are symbols of fashion for some people. However, for others, it describes questions like who they are? What is their greatest weakness or fear? Thus, it becomes significant for every tattoo enthusiast to pick a tattoo that has a deep meaning to it. Because, every now and then, there will exist one person or group of people who will show interest in the tattoo you have carved on your hand. And you should be ready to describe its meaning.
Tattoos of a hand or, in professional terms, “Hamsa tattoos” are the best choice. The reason is, tattoos on hands are more explicit. Thus, every now and then, you can enjoy the beautiful design carved on your hand instead of the neck, buttock, or spine that you cannot even see.
Today, we brought you a concise visual guide on top of “tattoos of a hand” ideas along with their meaning. Let’s get started:
#1: Want tattoos of a hand? Check out shaking hands design.
Do you know? The entire 81% of the world population rarely agrees to anything in particular. However, when it comes to friendship and loyalty, over 83% of people in the world have a “Best friend” by their side who they believe is loyal. In the event that you have such faith in your best friend, you can dedicate “tattoos of a hand,” which will keep your friendship alive for decades to come.
According to our research, a shaking hands tattoo has more than one meaning. It symbolizes love, friendship, respect, brotherhood, etc. therefore, if you want your first-hand tattoo to be meaningful, what’s more meaningful than the following designs:
#2: Half or full clock tattoos of a hand
One of the greatest parts about having tattoos of a hand is that they can be your tribute to beloved ones. To the reader’s surprise, people who very strongly and deeply believe in spirituality, the circle of life and death, and the value of a moment when one’s life changes often pick “half or full clock” tattoos of a hand.
According to our studies, more often than not, half or full clock tattoos of a hand describe the following:
- Time is ever going. Life is limited.
- Every moment of life is crucial as time keeps running.
- The circle of life and death
- The time when one has born into this world (called, birth clock tattoos of a hand)
- Luxury and wealth (among some cultures, it is also believed that a pocket watch brings luxury, prosperity, and wealth).
- Death is coming (More often, people admire broken hourglass tattoos of a hand where sand is running out of it, which represents death or, as they say, it, “one has run out of his/her time.”)
Check out the following designs:
#3: Skull Tattoos of a hand designs and meaning
When it comes to tattoos, some people become open to expressing their vulnerability. However, other people or tattoo enthusiasts prefer to express their fearlessness via tattoos. One of the greatest examples of such fearlessness is the skull tattoos of a hand.
According to our research, skull tattoos on hands or arms are symbols of “one’s self-awareness about the fact that death can approach at any minute or second.” It expresses the idea that they are not scared of it. Indeed, a skull tattoo often interprets the idea that this person is open to living life to the fullest. Henceforth, people with skull tattoos of a hand are generally open to new experiences.
Apart from this, skull tattoos also have some cultural meaning:
- Honor the Dead or Day of the dead (Meaning: Either the person with a skull tattoo had a close relationship with someone who died, and the tattoo is in their honor). In Mexican culture, it is very common.
- In comparison, a skull tattoo surrounded by roses and other beautiful things that come from nature describe that the person believes in inner beauty more than the outlook. Or, in some cultures, a skull tattoo with a rose also symbolizes that all beautiful things and people are temporary. What’s left behind is “ugly, meatless, and zilche, a.k.a. Skull.”
- Last but not least, Snake’s skull or serpent’s skull tattoos of a hand are also prominent. This specific hamsa tattoo design expresses the idea that “only knowledge matters or lives after death.”
Check out the best snake skull/human skull tattoo designs:
#4: Swallow Tattoo designs
For many centuries, people on the earth have been hell-bent on the idea of heaven or paradise. Not only this, but people who died for a few minutes during hospital surgeries or accidents have also revealed that they went directly to heaven. And, without a doubt, it is mesmerizing to think that when death comes, the dead one finally finds peace. This is exactly what a swallow tattoo of a hand describes.
According to the theories, in the past, when soldiers or sailors used to go on their journey, they often had a swallow carved on their wrist, hand, chest, and other places in order to preserve their identity as a sailor.
Further ahead, many still believe that when a sailor dies on the sea, the swallow directly takes him to heaven. Isn’t it beautiful?
Apart from this, a swallow tattoo also represents:
- One has sailed in his/her lifetime.
- Returning home after a long journey.
- Freedom (because birds are often considered the freest species on earth)
- Endless love for family
Check out the best designs:
#5: Cross tattoo designs
When it comes to tattoos of a hand, they are very personal. For example, people often get a tattoo on a hand that is connected to the deepest secret, regret, lovable moment, loved ones, or even devotion to religion. Do you know? According to global statistics, over 145 million people in the world have at least one tattoo. In America, a cross-tattoo design which is a symbol of faith in Christianity, is very common.
Here is what different cross tattoos of a hand represent:
- Faith in times of uncertainty (people believe that when they are uncertain of something, a cross tattoo brings them closer to their faith in Christ).
- Sacrifice for the good and death (This meaning is directly related to the tragic death of Christ and how he died for the good of humanity).
- Death of our sins (Many people believe that Christ died for our sins which is true. Thus, people carve cross tattoos on hand as a symbol of personal revelation).
- Courage and transformation (Christ died at the hands of Romans. However, he did not lose courage. Thus, the cross is a symbol of courage and motivates people to transform).
Check out the best designs:
#6: Kraken Tattoos of a hand
To begin with, Kraken is far most the scariest mythical creature. Even though a Kraken in graphics appears like a giant octopus, in mythology, it is quite big. Indeed, it is big enough to take over a ship by one giant hand. Without a doubt, 90% of people are scared of Kraken, the mythical creature. 10% are fantasized about this beautifully scary creature. Many often get a Kraken tattoo which symbolizes so many things, such as:
- Power (Many people get a Kraken tattoo to depict their power).
- Fear (Kraken is one of the scariest creatures. People often get a Kraken tattoo to describe their inner fear).
- Magical knowledge (meaning one has known the facts or secrets that no one else knows. This can include anything from tragedy to personal near-death experience).
- Symbol of scarcity (some people are different in their own ways. However, one finds a way to fit in the world. But, there are people who find themselves entirely alone and unwilling to fit with anyone. Kraken represents one-of-a-kind nature, mythological existence, etc.).
Check out the best designs:
#7: Hamsa Tattoo (Actual, tattoos of a hand)
To begin with, Hamsa Hand is one of the most cultural types of tattoos in multiple cultures. For example, in Judaism, a hamsa hand is considered the “hand of God.” Henceforth, a hamsa tattoo or tattoos of a hand represents protection against any evil eye, bad luck, and such other unfortunate times. Further ahead, it is also considered a “reminder for prayer” time.
In comparison, in Hinduism, the Hamsa Hand or tattoos of a hand is directly related to the concept of five chakras. To the reader’s surprise, according to Hindu mythology, the Hamsa is a bird who reincarnated as a brahman, a.k.a the Supreme being.
On the other hand, Hamsa hand or hamsa tattoos of a hand in Islam is considered the symbol of power, defense, and bravery, that is, Fatima, the daughter of Prophet Mohammad. It is also acknowledged as the “Hand of Fatima.”
In comparison, tattoos of a hand or Hamsa symbolize good fortune, power to nurture and care, protector, and feminine personality. It is also considered the “Hand of Mary.” Mary was the mother of Christ.
Since “Hamsa” is related to many cultures and religions, we strongly advise that you pre-consider the meaning of Hamsa tattoo design before you get it because it can be culturally inappropriate in some countries.
#8: Teardrop tattoo on hand
Generally, teardrop tattoos go under or side of an eye or both ideas. However, the concept behind a teardrop tattoo has shaken well into dark mysteries. For example, in the television series Orange Is the New Black, Piper Chapman sees a criminal who threatens her. And then she says, “doesn’t a teardrop tattoo mean you murdered someone?” to her girlfriend, Alex Vause.
Now, in real-time, there are many instances where criminals actually have teardrop tattoos. But, it doesn’t mean they have actually murdered someone. American rappers also have teardrop tattoos which represent one of the following:
- Loss of a loved one (teardrop is an expression of sadness. People generally cry when they lose someone who they loved deeply, like a child, parents, or beloved family member). It is a tribute to remember them.
- On the other hand, teardrop tattoos also mean that the person has imprisoned before.
- A teardrop tattoo also means that the person has been humiliated in life at some point.
Because teardrop tattoos under the eye have become very common due to the myth of “murdered someone” surrounded by it. A teardrop tattoo on hand is a good idea as it will help you set yourself apart from the crowd.
#9: Spider Web tattoos of a hand
There are very few instances in one’s lifetime when he/she desires to overcome a long journey of waiting to finally get the satisfaction of something. For example, years of waiting to find or meet a loved one. Spider web tattoos of a hand describe something like that.
According to our studies, spider web tattoos were quite prominent back in the early 1900s when sailors used to go for long journeys leaving their loved ones behind. A spider web tattoo represents “wait” for one to return home. Or one’s desire to go home.
In comparison, some also believe that a spider web tattoo is a representation of a “struggle” that one has to overcome.
On the other hand, spider web tattoos are also widely related to prison and gangs. Among some criminals, spider web tattoos are a representation of their loyalty towards their boss. At the same time, some believe that a spider web tattoo represents the number of people one has murdered. Yet, again, it is only a myth.
Check out the best designs:
#10: Angel tattoos for hand
The goodness of one’s heart is all that matters the most. If you are one such people who have faith in good for all, an angel tattoo on hand is the best pick for you. An angel tattoo is a representation of the following:
- Circle of life and death
- Justice (mostly, an angel with a blindfold)
- Faith in the supreme power
Check out the best designs:
With so much magnificence in the world, why not carve yourself with some of it? Tattoos of a hand can hold different meanings. Thus, we strongly advise that you do not judge a person with unique and strange tattoos on hand instantly. Sometimes, knowing the meaning of a tattoo is all you need to understand a person. Thank you!