There’s nothing quite like an adventure in the mountains, being surrounded by nature’s giants. TheThe achievement of reaching the summit, breathtaking views, feeling light as you ski down, and the feeling of being surrounded by nature. TheMountains can conjure up the most primal emotions and feelings.
So it’s not surprising that many people compare their lives to the mountains. With all of its ups, downs, and challenges. This may be why so many people love quotes about mountains. Many of these mountain quotes can be attributed to me!
Read More: mountain love quotes
Whether you’re looking for quotes to inspire your next adventure, some inspirational and motivational quotes to get you going, or mountain captions for Instagram, this list of the best mountain quotes has you covered!
Our other quotes blogs may be of interest to you:
- Best Quotes AboutRoad Trips
- 130+ Sunset QuotesCaptions and Descriptions for Instagram
- Hiking QuotesInspiration
- 200+ Quotes AboutThe Beach
- BestSea Quotes
WRITTEN BY: Sophie Clapton, Travel Photographer MountainLover. Instagram| Instagram
Original Mountain Quotes
Here are some mountain quotes you won’t find anywhere else on the internet (well as least not when we first wrote thisIt was!). These are all original, unique mountain quotes that have been taken from journals, conversations we’ve had, or thought up while hiking together. Alright, the hiking together was technically pacing the garden in the rain due to current lockdown measures… But that’s basically the same thing right?!
These quotes can be shared on social media. please don’t forget to tag us! Or if you’d like to use any of our graphics on your website Send us an email🙂
- “The mountains are the last place where man can feel truly wild.” We Dream of Travel
- “The great thing about reaching the top of the mountain is realising that there’s space for more than one person. And you’re now in the prime position to help others up.”We Dream of Travel
- “I see every person as a mountain of sorts; we can see how they look from afar, but will never know them until we explore.” We Dream of Travel
- “You cannot conquer a mountain, for it shall continue to exist beyond you. However, if not careful, a mountain can conquer you.”We Dream of Travel
- “My spirit soars where the air goes thin.”We Dream of Travel
- “A younger me needed to climb every mountain. The older me says they photograph better from the bottom.”We Dream of Travel
- “We always discuss reaching the top of the mountain as the challenge. But those that have been there know coming back down is the hardest part.”We Dream of Travel
- “I’ve never understood hiring Sherpas to claim you’ve conquered Everest. I’d rather climb a mountain half the size and be able to say I’ve done it on my own.” We Dream of Travel
- “The sun shines brightest from the peaks of mountains.” We Dream of Travel
- “Some mountains only require a good pair of shoes. Some mountains require a whole team to conquer. Knowing which is which is the key to success.” We Dream of Travel
- “What a funny world we live in when we won’t turn our phones off, yet we get excited to see we’ve hiked far enough to lose service.” We Dream of Travel
Quotes About Mountains
Here’s a collection of some of our favourite quotes about mountains from a variety of different sources.
- “Over every mountain, there is a pass, although it may not be seen from the valley”
- “Mountains teach that not everything in this world can be rationally explained.” – Aleksander Lwow
- “‘I like the mountains because they make me feel small,’ Jeff says. ‘They help me sort out what’s important in life.’” – Mark Obmascik
- “You can chase angels or flee from demons by going to the mountains.” – Jeffrey Rasley
- “Keep close to Nature’s heart… and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.” John Muir
- “Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity.”John Muir
- “How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!”John Muir
- “I like geography best because your mountains & rivers know the secret; Pay no attention to borders.”Brian Andreas
- “Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.” – Anatoli Boukreev
Short Mountain Quotes
Sometimes all you need is a quick and simple quote that doesn’t include any fluff. These short mountain quotes will be perfect for those times when less is more.
- “The mountains are calling and I must go.”John Muir
- “Go where you feel most alive.”
- “Going to the mountains is going home.”
- “Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”– Dr. Seuss
- “Hike more. Worry Less.”
- “You are not in the mountains. The mountains are in you.”John Muir
- “The best view comes after the hardest climb.”
- “All good things are wild and free.”
- “What are men to rocks and mountains?” – Jane Austen
- “So this was what a mountain was like, the same as a person: the more you know, the less you fear.”Wu Ming-Yi
Useful for You: 30+ Blessed Quotes to Help You Count Your Blessings
You may also enjoy: 120+ BestRoad Trip Quotes
Funny Mountain Quotes
Although mountains can be a source of inspiration, it doesn’t mean that everything has to be serious. These mountain quotes are funny and capture the fun side of climbing mountains.
- “Sometimes, you just need to change your altitude.”
- “Until further notice, assume that we’re peaking.”
- “In the mountains there are only two grades: You can either do it, or you can’t.”Rusty Baille
- “There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Rannulph Fiennes
- “Sleeping bags are the soft tacos of the bear world.”
- “A crude meal, no doubt, but the best of all sauces is hunger.” – Edward Abbey
- “You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a lift pass.”
- “Don’t make a mountain out of a molehill.”John Fox
- “You climb to reach the summit, but once there, discover that all roads lead down.”Stanislaw Lem
The achievement of reaching the top of a mountain is always a great accomplishment, literally and metaphorically. These mountain top quotes can be used to inspire and offer wisdom.
- “Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory.” – Ed Viesturs
- “I’ve realised that at the top of the mountain, there’s another mountain.” – Andrew Garfield
- “Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was.” – Dag Hammarskjold
- “Each fresh peak ascended teaches something.”Sir Martin Convay
- “TheIt takes longer to get to the top than you think. Don’t fool yourself, the moment will arrive when what seemed so near is still very far.” – Paulo Coelho
- “Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you’re climbing it.”Andy Rooney
Quotes AboutClimbing Mountains
Let’s face it, climbing mountains is rarely (never?!) It is not easy. But it’s the climb that is also what provides so much satisfaction and enjoyment. These quotes are about climbing mountains and all the feelings and experiences you will have.
- “The higher you climb on the mountain, the harder the wind blows.”Sam Cummings
- “Stop staring at mountains. Climb them instead, yes, it’s a harder process but it will lead you to a better view.”
- “Getting to the top of any given mountain was considered much less important than how one got there: prestige was earned by tackling the most unforgiving routes with minimal equipment, in the boldest style imaginable.” – Jon Krakauer
- “You keep putting one foot in front of the other, and then one day you look back and you’ve climbed a mountain.”– Tom Hiddleston
- “You never climb the same mountain twice, not even in memory. Memory rebuilds the mountain, changes the weather, retells the jokes, remakes all the moves.” – Lito Tejada-Flores
- “When preparing to climb a mountain – pack a light heart.” – Dan May
- “Somewhere between the bottom of the climb and the summit is the answer to the mystery why we climb.” – Greg Child
- “Once Everest was determined to be the highest summit on earth, it was only a matter of time before people decided that Everest needed to be climbed.” – Jon Krakauer
- “You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother at all? This is the truth: What is above knows how to find out what is below. But what is below doesn’t know what is above. One climbs, and one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen.” – Rene Daumal
You may also enjoy: 120+ Quotes AboutHiking
Inspirational Mountain Quotes
MountainsThese are often used as metaphors to describe life. We each have our own mountains to climb and challenges to overcome… Therefore, it’s no surprise that there are so many inspirational mountain quotes.
- “Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” – David McCullough Jr.
- “Happiness is not at the top of the mountains but in how to climb it.”
- “It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.”Sir Edmund Hillary
- “No matter how tall the mountain is, it cannot block the sun.” – Chinese Proverb
- “He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary.” – Friedrich Neitszche
- “It’s not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.”Edmund Hillary
- “In a flat country, a hillock thinks itself a mountain.” – Turkish Proverb
- “There is no wifi in the mountains, but I promise you will find a better connection.”
- “Everybody wants to reach the peak, but there is no growth on the top of a mountain. It is in the valley that we slog through the lush grass and rich soil, learning and becoming what enables us to summit life’s next peak.” – Andy Andrews
- “Be like a mountain, aim to touch the sky but stay rooted to the ground”
Motivational Mountain Quotes
Sometimes we all need a little bit of motivation in order to conquer those mountains.
- “The deepest sea has a bottom, the highest mountain has a summit.” – Chinese Proverb
- “TheAn experienced mountain climber doesn’t fear a mountain, he is motivated by it. ThePersistent winners are not discouraged when faced with a problem. They face it as a challenge. MountainsThey were created to be conquered. Adversities are designed for defeat; problems are sent to resolve.” – William Arthur Ward
- “MountainsWe need to be able to recognize the secrets that we must learn. That it might take time, it might be hard, but if you just hold on long enough, you will find the strength to rise up.” – Tyler Knott
- “Every mountain top is within reach if you just keep climbing.”Barry Finlay
- “May your dreams be larger than mountains and may you have the courage to scale their summits.”– Harley King
- “Earth and sky, woods and fields, lakes and rivers, the mountain and the sea, are excellent schoolmasters, and teach some of us more that what we could learn from books.”John Lubbock
- “When faced with a large project, remember you move a mountain one stone at a time.”Catherine Pulsifer
Beautiful Mountain Quotes
MountainsThey are among the most picturesque landscapes that you can photograph. Although there are so many mountain ranges all over the globe, each one is unique and has its own characteristics. But they all share the same beauty.
- “May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.” – Edward Abbey
- “My happy place…. The forest, The mountains …. No better place to recharge than in the embrace of mother nature.”
- “Mountains are the beginning and end of all natural scenery.”John Ruskin
- “The mountain remains unmoved at seeming defeat by the mist.” – Rabindranath Tagore
- “Only mountains can feel the frozen warmth of the sun through snow’s gentle caress on their peaks.”Munia Khan
- “This mountain, the arched back of the earth risen before us, it made me feel humble, like a beggar, just lucky to be here at all, even briefly.”Bridget Asher
- “Although I deeply love oceans, deserts, and other wild landscapes, it is only mountains that beckon me with that sort of painful magnetic pull to walk deeper and deeper into their beauty.” – Victoria Erikson
- “To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.”Mary Davis
You may also enjoy: 130+ Sunset captions for Instagram
Nothing compares to getting away to the mountains. Whether you’re taking a mountain vacation, hitting the slopes or going out hiking, adventures await you.
- “There are far better things ahead than the ones we leave behind.”C.S. Lewis
- “Life sucks a lot less when you add mountain air, a campfire and some peace and quiet.”Brooke Hampton
- “When the wind calls, you know, that somewhere in the mountains, it has found the answers that you were looking for. The pull of the horizon overcomes the inertia of reason… And you just have to go.” – Vikram Oberoi
- “The climb speaks to our character, but the view, I think, to our souls.” – Lori Lansens
- “If the path be beautiful, let us not ask where it leads.” – Anatole France
- “When a man is a traveler, the world is his house and the sky is his roof, where he hangs his hat is his home, and all the people are his family.” – Drew Bundini Brown
- “There’s a world out there, and you’ve got to look at both sides of the mountain in your lifetime.” – Bill Janklow
No matter whether it’s a day hike or a backpacking trip, hiking in the mountains is almost always guaranteed to be a fun adventure.
- “The danger of an adventure is worth a thousand days of ease and comfort.” – Paulo Coelho
- “It’s always further than it looks. It’s always taller than it looks. And it’s always harder than it looks.”– TheThree rules of mountaineering
- “Mountains have a way of dealing with overconfidence.” – Hermann Buhl
- “Sometimes you just need an adventure to cleanse the bitter taste of life from your soul.”
- “If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it is lethal.” – Paulo Coelho
- “May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.” – Edward Abbey
- “Any coward can sit at home and criticize a pilot for flying into a mountain in a fog. But I would rather by far die on a mountainside than in bed.” – Charles Lindbergh
- “You must go on adventures to find out where you truly belong.” – Sue Fitzmaurice
- “Adventure isn’t hanging on a rope off the side of a mountain. Adventure is an attitude that we must apply to the day to day obstacles of life.”John Amatt
- “Without mountains, we might find ourselves relieved that we can avoid the pain of the ascent, but we will forever miss the thrill of the summit. And in such a terribly scandalous trade-off, it is the absence of pain that becomes the thief of life.”Craig D. Lounsbrough
FIND MORE INSPIRATION: The Dream Destinations to Add to Your Travel Bucket List
MountainsMany metaphors can be used for your life. TheOur lives are a series of experiences that include the climb up mountains, including the journeys, the challenges, and the satisfaction we feel.
- “It isn’t the mountain ahead that wears you out; it’s the grain of sand in your shoe.”Robert W. Service
- “Let’s not mince words: Everest doesn’t attract a whole lot of well-balanced folks. TheThe self-selection process tends not to remove the thoughtful and the practical, but rather those who are single-minded or extremely driven. Which is a big reason the mountain is so dangerous.” – Jon Krakauer
- “If you are faced with a mountain, you have several options. You can climb it, and then cross over to the opposite side. You can even go around it. You can dig under it. You can fly above it. It can be blown up. You can ignore it and pretend it’s not there. You can either turn around and return to the original way. Or you can stay on the mountain and make it your home.” – Vera Nazarian
- “TheMaking choices leads to experiences. It’s one thing to climb a mountain. It is quite another to be on top of it.” Herbert A. Simon
- “Life’s a bit like mountaineering – never look down.”Edmund Hillary
- “My father considered a walk among the mountains as the equivalent of churchgoing.”Aldous Huxley
- “TheThe old saying is that life is like a mountain. You go up, reach the top and then go down.” – Jeanne Moreau
- “Every great achievement is but a small peak in the mountain range of contributions.” – Dale T. Mortensen
- “Great men are rarely isolated mountain peaks; they are the summits of ranges.” Thomas W. Higginson
- “Life’s a climb but the view is great.”
MountainCaptions for Instagram
Try to think outside the box InstagramCaptions are not easy. These mountain captions will give you some inspiration. Find the perfect quote for your mountain shot.
- “That girl, she’s going to move mountains.”
- “Wake up, it’s adventure and coffee time.”
- “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.”T.S. Eliot
- “I am never lost in the mountains, its where I find myself.”
- “Take me to the mountains.”
- “Climbing my way to bigger and better things.”
- “Life should have more mountains and less stress.”
- “Great things are done when men and mountains meet.”
- “Life is better when you’re surrounded by your best friends in the mountains.”
- “Always be thankful for the little things… even the smallest mountains can hide the most breathtaking views!” – Nyki Mack
- “Your faith can move mountains and your doubt can create them.”Swami Vivekananda
- “Over every mountain, there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley.” – Theodore Roethke
- “Time in the mountains is always snow much fun.”
- “Enjoying life in the snow lane.”
- “All I need is a mountain breeze and tall trees.”
- “I love places that make you realize how tiny you and your problems are.”
We are passionate about the mountains, and these quotes may have inspired and motivated you to explore the area or take that perfect Instagram picture!
Is there a favorite mountain quote from this list? Or are there any we’ve missed?! Please leave us a comment to let us know your thoughts.
Don’t forget to check out our 130+ Sunset captions for Instagram? Road Trip QuotesTo Inspire Wanderlust? 200+ Beach QuotesCaptionsAll the Best Quotes AboutThe SeaAnd 120+ Quotes AboutHikingFind more inspiration for your travels.
These posts will inspire you to travel and show you the best places in mountainous areas.
- Roys Peak Hike
- Campervanning New Zealand
- BestOregon Places to See
- Hike Kalepa Ridge Trail
- For your travel bucket list, dream destinations
- Travel Lessons Starting from 10 Years of Experimentation
FOUND THESE QOTES INSPIRATIONAL, FUNNY? PIN THEM!Pin THEM! 🙂
Sharing is caring. If you’ve not already pinned your favourite quote, why not pin one of these ones to save this post for later and share the love!