There are some “DIY” solutions on the internet that involves drilling, glue, and extra bolts. These are great, but not recommended for mass consumption. In this article, I’ll discuss “easy” methods as well which can be implemented by an average person.
The interface between your laptop screen and your keyboard is called the laptop hinge. The hinge helps to ensure that the screen section does not shake, wobble, or become too tight. A A damaged or spoiled laptop can affect its usability and workability.
How laptop hinge works
Laptops have two hinges on the left and the right sides of the interface separating the two. The sections of the laptop. Tablets have thegoneapp.comop hinges. This allows the laptop’s screen to be opened and shut at thegoneapp.com. The hinge is often loose as it is constantly opened and closed when the laptop is being used.
Type of hinge problem
I have categorized the hinge related problem into 4 types.
- The housing area of bolts is broken
- The brass- screws holding the plastic holder is broken
- The hinges are broken into multiple pieces
- The Display will flicker or not work properly due to not getting even pressure or a damaged connection to the display. The display will flicker if you move it for 3-4 second, but then it will stop working.
Can Laptop Hinges Be Replaced/Fixed?
All laptop hinges can be repaired. However, the specific situation will dictate what you should do.
- You can search other websites to find out if anyone else has had the same problem. YouTube is a good place to start. Use your laptop model number to search.
- The warranty may be voided if the laptop is new or expensive.
- If you have to disassemble the laptop for repair and it seems difficult to do so by yourself, I recommend hiring technicians.
- Repairing a 5-year-old laptop is not worth the expense of $200-$300.
My experience shows that only a small percentage of people buy replacement parts and then repair/repair their laptops themselves. Most people will purchase a new laptop from Amazon or BestBuy after learning the costs and replacement process.
How to check if your hinge is loose
The common changes observed that lead to a full-blown loosening of the hinge is that at first, you will notice that your computer will feel a little bit easy to open. You may not need to exert the same force as usual to open your laptop.
After opening the laptop, you will notice that the screen section becomes wobbly and may drift to a different position. This is the first sign of a hinge being loosen.
Signs Of Damaged / loose and the wearing of the hinge
There are many signs of hinge damage. Some signs of hinge damage are easily visible, while others may be hidden.
- You may find physical damage to the housing or hinge. These can be easily seen.
- You will not be able to set the display to stand at 90° or position where you want.
- The hinge may become “seized up” and gets harder to move than it should. It may not appear from the outside. This is an indication of the problem. If you don’t fix it on time, the hinge housing area in the screen will be broken/cracked very soon. When you move the screen, it will make a creaking sound.
- It may also make cranky noises when you close your laptop. These signs are an indication that one of your screws may be loose.
- The hinge is entirely made of plastics. The screws are held in place by these plastics. As time passes, the screw will loosen from the plastic screw hole.
Fixing A Broken Laptop Hinge
A wobbling laptop monitor can be made to be stable. There are several ways to fix this problem. Some solutions require little or no tools, while others require the use of a drill and nuts.
These are the most common methods. I have prioritized them because I believe that most people will be able to use these tools. But, I will also include the techniques that require some prior knowledge and skill.
fix a broken laptop hinge without disassembling
(without removing the bezel/garnish)
A laptop is not a toy. It is expensive. Many people don’t like to take it apart to repair it. There is a good chance it won’t be reassembled. This is how it’s done.
Simply place a hard object at the back of the laptop. Make sure that the screen section of your laptop is supported on the object. This will ensure that it does not move during use. I solved this problem last year when I was playing ps4 with a laptop that had it.
There also exist some friction pads which can be fixed at the Hinges. These friction pads can reduce wobbling and allow the screen to be opened easily.
Alternatively, you can order a replacement from the manufacturing company most especially if you still have a working warranty. Contact your manufacturer and explain the problem. They will give you some steps to troubleshoot. Your manufacturer can help you with simple problems.
It is common to believe that a hinge that is broken cannot be repaired. This is incorrect. You can either handle the problem yourself or ask the manufacturer for help.
If the hinge is damaged beyond repair, it may be worth buying a brand new laptop. You can find out the best time to buy a laptop by looking at this guide.
Method – 4 (Using glue)
Get a tube of gorilla glue epoxy. You will then glue it together again to hold it together. You can also use the glue again to fix any future damage. Super glue is also available. You can use super glue, but it depends on which model your laptop has.
Method – 5: Fit the hinge outside the case
- A power drill
- A few 14mm-long M3 screws (plus, nuts for them)
List of Steps
First, you need to use your drill machine to drill pilot holes of 2mm through into the case cover from the hinge side. You’ll be using the bottom two screw holes in the bezel/garnish
Enlarge the pilot holes to 3mm, drill from the case cover side back towards the hinge.
Fit the screw in from the case side with the nut on the bezel side. You can file the screws down if they are too long. A dab of black enamel can be used to hide the nuts. One screw per hinge is all you’ll need for this repair.
It is not possible to find 3mm coupler nuts at hardware stores or home improvement shops. They can be removed from a circuit board. You can buy it at an electronics supply shop, a computer repair center, or thegoneapp.com. Chicago screws or binding screws are also options.
fix a broken laptop hinge by disassembling the laptop
A simple self-trouble-shooting can save you some little cash.
- You will first need to disconnect all cables and take out all screws holding the laptop’s base to the keyboard.
- You will need to note the exact position of each screw in order to make the assembly easier.
- You can now remove the hinge cover from the keyboard top by using the flat head screw.
- Take the laptop monitor off the laptop base. Unplug your video cable. Remove the hinges.
- You can replace the hinges and reassemble the laptop as before.
How to fix if the plastic on the cover attaching the hinge is damaged
There are a few ways to fix the issue.
- The hinges can be loosen by loosening the nut.
- Replace the hinger. These replacement parts are available at a low price from many 3rd-party shops. eBay sells many parts. Before you buy, match the part number.
Tip: If you see the plastic housings (upper or lower) are damaged or torn up, then there is no other way but to replace the chassis/screen backing housing.
Things To Consider
- Replacing hinger is hard for average people. This is the last option.
- It can be expensive to replace the lower chassis or the screen backing housing. These parts can be found on eBay. You may also find them in a non-functioning used laptop. You can then use the hinge/case parts to repair the damaged parts of your laptop.
- Check the number of openings and closings on your model before you buy a laptop. Dell claims that the Inspiron 15-547 was subject to 20,000 openings or closings.
How Much Is The Cost Of Laptop Hinge Repairs?
Repairs are free if you do the work yourself. If you cannot do the self-troubleshooting, then you can pay a technician to do it for you.
Each technician will charge a different price for repairs. The average cost of fixing a laptop hinge is $80, while the price for technicians on Amazon and eBay is around $20.
Sometimes it could be as high as $200-$300. It’s almost worthless to spend this much on repairs for an older laptop if it’s not in good condition.
There are many brands that have different prices for hinges, such as Acer or Dell. It all depends on the material and quality.
How To Prevent Laptop Hinge Damage
- The laptop hinge is one of the laptop parts that gets damaged easily. To You can reduce the severity of damage by not opening and closing your laptop often. This will cause the screen to wobble and loosen its hooks.
- Do not drop the laptop. This can cause damage to the hinge.
- To prevent friction, the hinge can also be lubricated. There are many lubricants that can be used to prevent friction.
- Dropping a laptop could cause damage to the power button and motherboard. It is possible to try turning on your computer without pressing the power button if you have ever experienced it.
- You should not open a laptop and hold the screen.
- Most laptops don’t have screws. To If you need to tighten or loosen the hinge on your laptop, make sure that you use the right size screw. The hinge is made of plastic so you shouldn’t apply too much pressure to tighten it. This will cause damage to the plastics.
- The screen area of the laptop is very delicate. The laptop should be opened with care.
- It matters how fast and force you open your laptop. You will have a longer life span if you don’t take it too seriously.
- Don’t carry the laptop by the lid.
The hinge in my brand-new laptop is broken. The service center will replace my laptop for free.
Our experience has shown that there are many scenarios. Sometimes they will replace the hinge at no cost, and sometimes they charge for it. After inspecting your laptop manually, they will make the final decision.
My laptop’s hinges are tight. Sometimes the plastic cover can come off. How How do you fix it?
It is possible to loosen the hinges. If you don’t have the tools, you can remove the hinges and reattach them. You should not use tight hinges as it could cause damage to the plastic that holds the screws. Keep in mind that brands such as HP don’t sell replacement screen cover or other replacement parts. You can find replacement screen covers on eBay or third-party sellers.
On the whole, there are many ways of fixing and replacing your laptop hinge and the manufacturer’s instructions must be adhered to strictly.
A cranking sound is a sign that the hinge has worn or been loosen.
A laptop that has its hinge loosening can cause it to become unusable. The screen will no longer stay in the exact position it was placed.
This can be frustrating, especially if you have a project that needs to be done via your laptop. A A wobbling hinge could cause damage to the screen and expose the wires to wear and tear.
There may also be other problems. The layout and design of hinges can differ from one laptop to the next.
The hinge is an important component of your laptop. If the hinge is damaged, your laptop won’t be able to be used properly.
The hinge should not wobble. Here are some factors that can make your laptop a joy to use.
You will not be able to get a warranty from the manufacturer if you replace your laptop’s hinge yourself.