What Is DISM?
DISM, whose full name is the Deployment Image Service and Management, is a built-in tool of Windows, first introduced in Windows 7 and Windows Server R2. It can perform servicing tasks on a Windows installation image, on an online or offline image within a folder, or on WIM files.
The DISM tool can be available from the Command Line or the Windows PowerShell. DISM tool can be used to update files and fix problems when a Windows image becomes unserviceable. However, when running the DISM tool, you may receive the error code 87 or some other codes like DISM error 50, DISM error 2, DISM error 3, DISM error 1639 and so on, as shown in the following picture:
These DISM error codes mean that you cannot proceed. Therefore, do you know what may cause the DISM error 87 or other DISM error codes?
What Causes DISM Error 87?
As a matter of fact, there are several reasons leading to the DISM error 87 Windows 10/8/7.
1. The command is not correct.
This is the common reason that leads to the DISM error 87 the parameter is incorrect. In most situations, users may forget to type a space before the slash when they type the command.
2. The command doesn’t run into an elevated prompt.
The second cause for the DISM error 87 is that the command does not run into an elevated Command Prompt window. If users run this command in a regular Command Line window, they may receive the error 87 DISM.
3. The machine uses the wrong DISM version.
You may encounter the DISM error 87 if you use the wrong version of DISM when applying a Windows 10 image. Thus, to fix this problem, you need to use the correct DISM version.
Having known what may lead to the DISM restorehealth error 87, how to fix this DISM error?
6 Solutions to DISM Error 87 Windows 7/8/10
In the following section, we will list several solutions to DISM error 87. Try these solutions if you experience the same problem.
Solution 1. Use Correct DISM Command
As we have mentioned in the above section, the DISM error 87 may be caused by the incorrect command. For example, if you input the command without space before the slash like this DISM/online/cleanup-image/checkhealth, you will encounter the DISM/online/cleanup-image/restorehealth error 87.
So, in order to solve this DISM error code, please type the correct command. Please add the space before the slash, like these:
- DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
- DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
After that, you can check whether you still encounter the DISM error 87.
Solution 2. Run This Command Using an Elevated Command Prompt
Some people say that they encounter the DISM error 87 when they do not run Command Prompt as administrator.
So in order to solve the error 87 DISM Windows 10, try to run Command Prompt as administrator.
Step 1: Type command prompt in the search box of Windows 10 and choose the best matched one.
Step 2: Right-click it to choose Run as administrator to continue.
Reading: How To Clean A Rusty Bike Chain
You can also refer to the post Command Prompt Windows 10: Tell Your Windows to Take Actions to know more ways to run Command Prompt as administrator.
After running Command Prompt as administrator, type the command to continue and check whether the issue DISM error 87 is solved.
Solution 3. Run Windows Update
The DISM restorehealth error 87 may be caused by the pending Windows update. So in order to solve this error 87 DISM, you need to install all pending updates.
This is the guide.
Step 1: Open Windows Update
- Press Windows and I keys together to open Settings.
- In the pop-up window, choose Update & Security to continue.
Step 2: Check for updates
- In the pop-up window, go to Windows Update tab.
- Then choose Check for Updates to continue.
When the process is finished, you can run Command Prompt as administrator and input the command again to check whether the error 87 DISM is solved.
Solution 4. Run System File Checker
If there are corrupted system files on your computer, you may also encounter the error 87 DISM Windows 10/8/7. Thus, to fix this problem, you need to check and repair the corrupted system files firstly.
Hence, the Windows built-in tool System File Checker is a good choice to repair the corrupted system files.
Now, here is the tutorial on how to fix the corrupted system files so as to fix the DISM error 87 Windows 7/8/10.
Step 1: Open Command Prompt
- Type command prompt in the search box of Windows 10 and choose the best matched one.
- Right-click it to choose Run as administrator to continue.
Step 2: Type the command to continue
- In the pop-up window, type the command sfc /scannow and hit Enter to continue.
- Do not close command line windows until the message verification is 100% complete.
Once the process is completed, you can repair any corrupted files in your system. Then open Command Prompt and run as administrator, type the command again, and check whether the DISM error 87 is solved.
If this sfc command does not work, you can refer to the post Quickly Fix – SFC Scannow Not Working (Focus on 2 Cases) to look for solutions.
Solution 5. Use the Correct DISM Version
Here, we will walk you through the fifth solution to fix the DISM error 87 Windows 10. If you are a Windows user, you need to run the Windows 10 version of DISM because this version requires the thegoneapp.com filter driver.
So, in order to solve DISM error 87 Windows 10, you need to use the Windows 10 Version of DISM with the thegoneapp.com filter driver. For more detailed information, you can see the DISM Supported Platforms and Install Windows 10 using a Previous version of Windows PE.
After that, you can reboot your computer and run Command Prompt as administrator again, then type the command to check whether the DISM error 87 Windows 10 is solved.
Solution 6. Reinstall Windows
Now, we will show you the last solution to DISM error 87. If none of the above methods works, there is no other choice for you except reinstalling Windows. Hence, you can reinstall the operating system to fix the DISM error 87and other system problems.
But one important thing is that reinstalling the operating system will lead to data loss. Before you continue, please make sure to back up all files.
After ensuring data safe, you can continue to reinstall the operating system.
Reading: How To Reinforce A Bed Frame
I encountered the DISM error 87 when running DISM, but I successfully fixed this DISM error code after I read this post. Click to tweet
What to Do After Solving DISM Error 87?
After you have fixed the DISM restorehealth error 87, what can you do?
It is strongly recommended to create a system image after fixing this issue. In this way, you can restore your computer to the normal state if you encounter the error 87 DISM again in later.
In addition, if you encounter some other OS problems during the using process, you can also restore your computer to a previous state with the system image created before.
Thus, do you know how to back up computer or create system image easily? MiniTool ShadowMaker can be used to protect your data.
MiniTool ShadowMaker is a piece of professional Windows backup software which is specializing in backing up disks, partitions, files, folders and the operating system.
Besides backup feature, it is also a clone tool which can clone OS from HDD to SSD without data loss.
So, with so many features, download MiniTool ShadowMaker Trial from the following button immediately or choose to purchase an advanced edition.
Now, we will show you how to back up computer with the step-by-step guide.
Step 1: Launch MiniTool ShadowMaker
- Download MiniTool ShadowMaker and install it on your computer.
- Start it.
- Click Keep Trial to continue.
- Choose Connect in This Computer to continue.
Step 2: Select backup source
- MiniTool ShadowMaker chooses the operating system as the backup source by default. So, there is no need for you to choose it again.
- However, if you want to select backup source by yourself. Please go to the Backup page, click Source module, and choose Disk and Partitions to select the system disk to continue. (If you want to back up files, choose Folders and Files.)
Step 3: Select the backup destination
- After returning the backup page, please click Destination module to choose a backup destination.
- Here are five available paths which are Administrator, Libraries, Computer, Network, and Shared folder. It is suggested to save the backup images in an external hard drive. So, click Computer, choose an external hard drive, and click OK to continue.
Here are three points you should pay attention to.
- MiniTool ShadowMaker enables you to create a regular backup. Just click Schedule button at the bottom of Backup page to continue.
- MiniTool ShadowMaker offers three backup options. Click Scheme to change.
- You can also specify advanced backup parameters such as encrypting backup files and other options.
Step 4: Start to backup
- After selecting the backup source and destination, click Back up Now to perform the backup task immediately.
- Or click Back up Later to postpone the backup task and restart it in the Manage page.
After all of these steps have been completed, you will have created a system picture. With this system image, you can feel relax even though you encounter the DISM error 87 again or some other system problems because you can restore computer to a previous state.
MiniTool ShadowMaker is a powerful tool. With this software, I am assured as it can keep my computer and data thegoneapp.com to tweet
To sum up, this post has introduced what the DISM is and what may cause the DISM error 87. Apart from that, this post has walked through 6 solutions to DISM error 87 Windows 7/8/10.
If you have any better solution to error 87 Windows 10, you can share it on the comment zone. Or if you have any problem with this post or MiniTool ShadowMaker, please contact us via the email [email protected] and we will reply to you as soon as possible.
See also: How to Repair Holes in Metal